Do Something Interesting
I was listening to the radio today when I heard Alanis Morissette's cover of Seal's Crazy. Most covers really irritate me. Especially when the cover makes little to no changes to the original song. The most egregious example I can think of was the Ataris covered Don Henley's Boys of Summer. They really didn't change much of anything.
I feel that if you are going to build on the works of others, you should at least bring something to the table. Consider what Marilyn Manson did with Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams. Like the version or not, at least some creativity was involved.
I'm especially irritated by no-name singers/bands becoming famous for an almost duplicate cover of someone else's song. If you are going to try this, do an interesting cover like Orgy did with Blue Monday. It could have been the first song you heard by the band and possibly what brought them fame, but they did something artistic with it.
1 Comments:
I recently stumbled across a version of "Paint It Black" by The Agony Scene. It's definitely... different. As Keanu would say: Whoa.
Post a Comment
<< Home